The global pandemic has created a state of affairs filled with uncertainty, which has led to a sense of fear or dread for so many of us. Recent data collected from apartment mystery shops has shown a negative impact on how business is being conducted, particularly in terms of closing and asking for the sale. This is certainly a problem that requires urgent attention and one of the best ways to address it is with a double-dose of vitamin E (encouragement)!
To begin, we must work to shift the ways we think and talk about things to start to change the way we feel. Further, the way we react and respond to situations influences our reality. Try to take note of your “zone” and work to progress as follows:
- Comfort Zone: This is where we all started back at the beginning of 2020. We felt safe and in control as we went day to day in our familiar routine.
- Fear Zone: When the pandemic began, many of us may have found ourselves ousted from the comfort zone and thrust into the fear zone where we experienced a lack of self-confidence and anxiety about the uncertainty. In the fear zone, we may have found excuses and been more sensitive to the opinions of others.
- Learning Zone: As we began to understand the new state of the world, we began to adjust and deal with the challenges and problems we were faced with. We learned some new skills and have increased our comfort zones.
- Growth Zone: As we gain momentum and proficiency, we emerge from the learning zone and enter the growth zone! Here, we find purpose, conquer objectives, and set new goals. We should all work to reach the growth zone.
In order to maintain our progress within the growth zone, it’s important to be able to identify what is within your control and what is not. You ARE responsible for your own (but not someone else’s):
- Consequences of your actions
Once you’re confident in your own boundaries and have identified what is yours to control, you can make the following important shifts to foster your personal success:
- Examine your environment – Ensure your surroundings support your success
- Change your language – Don’t verbalize anything you don’t want to come true; keep a positive attitude
- Adjust your mindset and act “as if” – Approach your challenges and opportunities as though you’ve already succeeded
- Learn and apply – Use your mistakes as lessons to better yourself in the future
- Surround yourself with people that match your mindset – Surrounding yourself with others who are working towards success will give you a boost
- Create new habits to support your change – Make note of the close, the powerful and the many. The people closest to us will have the greatest impact. You need a powerful reason to motivate you. The more (many) people that join in your cause, the easier it is to accomplish.
- Celebrate small wins – Take the time to stop and celebrate your successes, even the small ones!
To help you keep up and stay in the game, follow these strategies to strengthen your mental muscle:
- Replace “blue” thoughts with true thoughts – For every negative, discouraging thought you have, come up with a true counterpoint.
- Change the channel – Monitor what you expose yourself to and limit negative input.
- Stay in the present – Let go of yesterday and don’t allow yourself to waste valuable mental resources fretting about tomorrow.
- Cut yourself some slack – Treat yourself the same way you would treat a friend; give yourself some grace.
- Express gratitude – Remember to approach your day with a sense of gratitude for what you have.
A great way to remember the way forward is to get to the HEART of the matter:
- Handle all matters with care.
- Engage stakeholders in the process.
- Act self-employed but be a team player.
- Respond promptly and professionally.
- Thank people often!
Dr. Debbie Phillips, Ph.D, CPM
Since 1984, Ellis Partners in Management Solutions has specialized exclusively in helping our multifamily clients measure and improve the customer experience by teaming with customers to develop professional skills and behaviors in each team member. We evaluate customer service and performance of onsite leasing professionals through comprehensive mystery shopping reports, our multiple touchpoint resident survey program, and training. Our turn-key integrated customer experience program, backed by outstanding customer service, sophisticated technology, and ethical business practices, has made Ellis one of the multifamily industry’s most respected and sought-after providers of training and consulting services.